Skip to main content

Installation Begins

Yes that's right people. It's 7 days until graduation and two days until the opening. I installed my fancy light and it made all the other lights on the track, including mine, flicker. The consensus among the people installing it for me was that my light was messing things up and it wasn't going to work. I believed them since I bought this thing from China and who really knows what kind of quality it is. But a few minutes later I decided to call them back. I asked them to remove the other lights on the track and see if it worked, and Voila! It worked! However, the only spot it works from is across the room, and it is very dim indeed, I'm concerned that the room just isn't dark enough to see the projection at all, but, it's too early to tell.

The room has a strange base board that goes about two and a half feet up and the exhibition director lady strongly recommended that I not paint it, which I was leaning toward as well since it's intricate and painted with a glossy white that my paint might not stick to. But it also has a picture rail about four feet from the ceiling that I couldn't paint. Also at the top of the room is an assortment of pipes and strange cable casings. So I could either stop at the picture rail, or paint to the ceiling and have an awkward white line/apparatus going through my painting, not to mention bringing attention to the variety of strange pipes and junk near the ceiling. I asked the exhibition lady what do you think about me just painting up to the rail? She said she thought that was an excellent idea, and I ran it by a few of my friends and they also thought that was a wise move. However, the room looks significantly whiter than I planned. I spent all day, from 9am to 5pm with a short lunch break...painting the room. But it's done!

The blackout curtains are installed and light leaked in through the edges and I asked the exhibition lady what we could about that, and she stapled them down and it looks much better now, but I'm still worried about the light coming through the cloth itself, it's just too much light. I'm hoping there's some way we can add another layer. I will investigate tomorrow.

And you gotta hand it to this place, though the dorm is old and dingy, it has nice light.

Comments