Skip to main content

More Failures, Oops, I Mean "Experiments"

My AT asked me if I could make the photographs less recognizable, and the answer is indeed. I can completely obliterate all resemblance pretty easily. Just add a texture to the knit and—BAM—complete obscurity! Today I tried a spray bottle that was meant for glasses cleaner and it sprayed a fine mist. I think it was the best way to apply the cyanotype to the knitting thus far.


Ultrasound image exposing to the sun for 7-8 minutes

So the results were mostly unsuccessful. Here is the most successful swatch, ultrasound on smooth stockinette.

Ultrasound on 3x3 ribbing. I tried ribbing because I wanted to play with the idea of pulling the ribs apart. I think this idea still has some potential. 

Here is the same Winston's face and ultrasound on seed stitch. Pretty much obliterated. 

Supposed to be cloudy-like structures on a sampler of berry stitch, bee stitch, and bubble stitch. This is a total fail. It's unclear why it was a total failure. Because of the knitting texture or because of the negative's density? Both? 

Here was my attempt to do a photo of my handwriting on wool stockinette stitch. Total failure. It's superwash wool which is supposed to have no lanolin on it. I read that wool needs acid-based dyes for it to work, but for the life of me I can't find whether or not cyanotype is an acid-based dye or not. So I had to try it. I was hopeful that if this works I could buy regular wool, scour it myself, and then cyanotype it. But since this still doesn't work, I doubt any wool will "bite" the fiber. This is especially a bad sign because that means I must use cotton for my project, which does not come in bulky/chunky weights as far as I can tell. But I suppose the good news is that the textured knits don't really work at all, so that means I'm sticking with plain stockinette, and maybe ribbing (which are easier to knit than the fancy stuff).

Here was the same handwriting negative on paper, and it is still barely visible. Maybe there is still hope for this idea, but perhaps I need to write thicker with a sharpie or something.

The outcome:
Textured knits = no
Ribbing = yes
Handwriting = maybe
Wool = looks like no, at least for me.

Comments