Skip to main content

I Can't Talk About Art Anymore

I have been waking up later and later. Today I woke up and slipped on my sandals and immediately went down to breakfast because there was only a few minutes left. I made it, so no worries. I took my breakfast back to my room so I could pump in time for the next event of the day. Such a drag. I did most of my packing last night, just a few more things to do.

I met with my faculty advisor about books he recommended for me to read this semester. I fortunately, I found two out of three of them right there in the library. There are a lot of others, but they have the online version, so why load up my suitcase when I can just see it online. The ground-floor of the library is mostly tables and cozy lounge areas, a really cool computer lab with macs and two large-format printers, paper cutters and other various tools. To get the books you have to go deep into the basement—The Stacks. It's a bit creepy down there. There's an entire room full of all the graduates' thesis papers going back decades and looks a bit like the newspaper archive at LMC. I spent some time just browsing the photography section and it was fun. I also had the opportunity to finally print some stuff. I didn't have access to much since I didn't bring anything, but I managed to print some. It prints 24 inches wide and no limit on the length because the paper is on a big roll. How cool is that?

I spent way too long looking out the window at this tiny bird. He was so chubby and cute I just wanted to squeeze him.
A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on
At lunch, my classmates expressed how sad they were to see the graduating class go. We've built relationships with these people and to know that they will not be returning next residency is a sad feeling. Every residency, a new class begins and one graduates. I'll speak for myself, It's hard to socialize with the new people, I don't know, it just is. As much as I want to be all inclusive and such. Maybe it's because they don't really know what's going on yet. Maybe it will be easier next time when the new people are returning students, and we all have similar experiences over the semester. It's a good thing my class is so large, because they will stay with me throughout and we wont be too sad no matter who is coming or going.

While I stood in the line for food, my classmates exclaimed, "Jaime, did you see the snow?!" Because I've been complaining the whole time that I wanted to see it snow. "Yes, I did! I even tried to build a snowman." At this, the entire group, including the food servers, howled with laughter. They thought that was the most absurd thing to do. But I'm glad I could provide such comic relief for everyone. As we sat at a table, one girl said with a hint of frustration, "Can we please not talk about art right now? I can't talk about art anymore. My head is going to explode." We all agreed, but then an awkward silence descended upon the table. I broke it with, "So, how do you build a snowman?" This made the group howl again. They explained the rolling method to me, which made another group offer a counter argument that the piling method was superior. Rolling, piling, rolling, piling—it seems they both have pros and cons. I asked questions like, do your mittens get wet? Don't your hands get cold? Yes, they get cold and wet, that is totally normal. I said, "So I guess I was building a snowman correctly—by the piling method—but just didn't stick with it long enough." They thought this was just too funny. "Will anything bad happen to me if I go for a walk in this snow? So snowmans are out of the question, but what about snowballs?" "Oh my god, Jaime, where are you from again?!" They just couldn't believe my noobness. Which I was having fun flaunting.

I did not go to the dance last night because I was packing. This morning, everyone was exhausted because they stayed up most of the night and everyone reported that the dance was amazing and fun.

Today is the day I go home! Even the universe celebrates by showering me with white confetti from the sky.

A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on


Comments