Skip to main content

Deadlines, Deadstudents

Today an interesting thing happened. In the morning for breakfast, one of the older students asked me if I had a critique scheduled this morning. I said I didn't, and she asked me if I wanted to have a critique with Harmony Hammond, who seems to be one of the more highly-acclaimed critters here. All of her critique slots filled up immediately and no one had a chance. This lady had a critique scheduled with harmony this morning, but she realized she has a conflict, and can't make it, she doesn't want to leave her high and dry, so she was trying to find someone else to go instead. I think this means I'm lucky. And boy, what a difference it made. Harmony is great. She had really interesting ideas and feedback for everyone. I liked the way she always started by just simply describing what she was seeing, or thought she was seeing. With my photos, she was convinced that it was somehow painted/drawn elements intermingled with the photos. She asked the group how they felt looking at them, and one student said they felt transported to another plane that they don't often get to see. And it feels like Harmony really understood my project and thought of some ideas to consider how to make it mobetta. Freaking night and day difference from the last critique. Yet another person came up to me from my group of the first critique and said to, "That guy was really harsh to you."
A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on
People seem to be "bonding" more. Every meal someone either invites me to their table or comes to sit with me. It's impossible to turn down a friendly, "Hey come sit with us!" without looking like a jerk, so I comply. This morning I opened the conversation, "Soooo, did anyone get anything out of that lecture last night?" which sure opened a can of worms. The table was pretty polarized. "I loved it," one girl said, "it was so fucking honest and refreshing."
"I understand that he needed to vent about all his depression and burnout, but I didn't ask to be invited to that conversation. I don't know why he needed to impose on us like that," Another chimed.
"I appreciated the discussion about how the studio space reflects where the exhibit space is," a third responder. which made me so want to ask, "So what? The studio reflects the exhibit space. Why does that matter?" But I didn't.

But there was one thing that no one could explain and therefore we all agreed, was that it was basically a disconnected hodgepodge of ideas that really had no relation to one another. We closed the discussion by asking, "Are you going to the lecture this morning?" and we all agreed that we were. "I feel like they are watching us new students extra closely to see if we attend everything," one said. That could be the case and it wouldn't surprise me.

And maybe she was right because at the lecture, I wanted to sit along the back in case I wanted to stand up or leave to go to the bathroom. I was also planing on skipping the Q&A at the end. But then one of the faculty sat right next to me. It made me mad because I wanted to stretch out and take up multiple seats and put a foot up or whatever, but then he was there. And he was the same jerk that gave me the bad critique. So I'm like...dude, did you have to sit there?

We had the opening of the graduating students' work today. I have a lot of trouble understanding much of it. But some of it was cool.
A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on
A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on

A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on
Everyone is getting really tired. They threw this deadline at us for the Visual Culture project, and we're all freaking out. The end.

Comments