Skip to main content

Deadlines, Deadstudents

Today an interesting thing happened. In the morning for breakfast, one of the older students asked me if I had a critique scheduled this morning. I said I didn't, and she asked me if I wanted to have a critique with Harmony Hammond, who seems to be one of the more highly-acclaimed critters here. All of her critique slots filled up immediately and no one had a chance. This lady had a critique scheduled with harmony this morning, but she realized she has a conflict, and can't make it, she doesn't want to leave her high and dry, so she was trying to find someone else to go instead. I think this means I'm lucky. And boy, what a difference it made. Harmony is great. She had really interesting ideas and feedback for everyone. I liked the way she always started by just simply describing what she was seeing, or thought she was seeing. With my photos, she was convinced that it was somehow painted/drawn elements intermingled with the photos. She asked the group how they felt looking at them, and one student said they felt transported to another plane that they don't often get to see. And it feels like Harmony really understood my project and thought of some ideas to consider how to make it mobetta. Freaking night and day difference from the last critique. Yet another person came up to me from my group of the first critique and said to, "That guy was really harsh to you."
A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on
People seem to be "bonding" more. Every meal someone either invites me to their table or comes to sit with me. It's impossible to turn down a friendly, "Hey come sit with us!" without looking like a jerk, so I comply. This morning I opened the conversation, "Soooo, did anyone get anything out of that lecture last night?" which sure opened a can of worms. The table was pretty polarized. "I loved it," one girl said, "it was so fucking honest and refreshing."
"I understand that he needed to vent about all his depression and burnout, but I didn't ask to be invited to that conversation. I don't know why he needed to impose on us like that," Another chimed.
"I appreciated the discussion about how the studio space reflects where the exhibit space is," a third responder. which made me so want to ask, "So what? The studio reflects the exhibit space. Why does that matter?" But I didn't.

But there was one thing that no one could explain and therefore we all agreed, was that it was basically a disconnected hodgepodge of ideas that really had no relation to one another. We closed the discussion by asking, "Are you going to the lecture this morning?" and we all agreed that we were. "I feel like they are watching us new students extra closely to see if we attend everything," one said. That could be the case and it wouldn't surprise me.

And maybe she was right because at the lecture, I wanted to sit along the back in case I wanted to stand up or leave to go to the bathroom. I was also planing on skipping the Q&A at the end. But then one of the faculty sat right next to me. It made me mad because I wanted to stretch out and take up multiple seats and put a foot up or whatever, but then he was there. And he was the same jerk that gave me the bad critique. So I'm like...dude, did you have to sit there?

We had the opening of the graduating students' work today. I have a lot of trouble understanding much of it. But some of it was cool.
A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on
A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on

A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on
Everyone is getting really tired. They threw this deadline at us for the Visual Culture project, and we're all freaking out. The end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exhibit Opening

So God Ball has a home now in the exhibit. He lives on a table with other little books. He is ready to be viewed.
God ball in the exhibit A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on Jul 22, 2017 at 8:52am PDT

At lunch, I shared with the group that there are five psychiatric hospitals nearby, and I wondered if there was a demand for all of them. Somehow this turned into a joke about how this school is really just another psychiatric hospital that specializes in people who have delusions of grandeur that they are artists. So we only think we are attending critiques and lectures but it's actually covert therapy to make us realize that we are delusional. Anyway, it was pretty funny.

In the morning we all put our names on two more critique slots in addition to the ones we were assigned.
Critique sign ups A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on Jul 22, 2017 at 6:54am PDT Speaking of critiques, I just had my first one, and it was pretty harsh. No such thing as …

Unanswerable Questions

You wouldn't think it would be so difficult to print five photographs. But it is. I will be given an 8x8 foot wall to fill with whatever I want for the exhibit, and I had to make a mockup of my wall and how it will look. The guidelines were to bring something that you still consider "in progress" and that you would like to have a discussion about. So I'm bringing the beginning of my "Etherial Edibles" series.

I made a 8x8 inch photoshop document to lay out my photos how I want them on my wall, and then I had to translate what that means into actual measurements. Then, I ended up having to do it all over again when I saw the standard sizes of the printer that I decided to go through. It was quite the process. I got my prints the other day and they look great. So velvety and full of depth. I'm looking forward to seeing them on the wall with all its neighbors in the gallery. I plan to sign the bottom right corners in pencil like all the real photographers …

A Hermit Master?

Apparently, yes.

This hermit has been accepted into the Master of Fine Arts in Visual Arts program of the Vermont College of Fine Arts. Indeed.

I will have to complete two ten-day residencies in Vermont each year for a total of five times. The rest of the time I work independently from home under the watchful eye of a professional Artist-Teacher in my local area. Who I persuade to be my artist-teacher is up to me cold-calling them. Great job for a hermit. Each residency I will have to bring an exhibit of my work, including this first residency in July.

I have to decide what to print and how big to make it and how to get it there safely. And oh yeah, the biggest problem of all is...how am I going to pay for this?

Another good signA post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on Apr 22, 2017 at 8:30pm PDT