Skip to main content

Morning One of Captivity

I could hardly sleep at all last night. It didn't help that at about 1:30 am I heard this strange sound. I thought it was like the loudest water rushing through pipes I had ever heard. But then it started changing and getting more buzzy and fluctuating and I was like, okay, what the heck is that. I opened my door just a crack to realize that it was the fire alarm and it was super loud out in the hall way. I thought for a moment maybe it was some kind of system test. So I waited a few more minutes. But nothing was happening so I finally grabbed my sweater and walked down the hall toward the exit. Some other lady emerged from her room too and said, "what is that?" I said How should I know. We went out to the front door of the building and sure enough there were about 7 of us out there. They said they had already called campus relations and they were on it. Campus relations called the fire department and the fire department casually pulled up to the wrong building. We watched them go in, and then come out, and then stroll back to the truck, and then drive around some more, and then finally our building where they went in and investigated and said everything was fine.  Someone joked, "Well, nice meeting everyone." and I said, "Let's do it again tomorrow night," which was met with chuckles and synchronized groans.

A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on


I don't think I slept until well after 2, and I had lovely dreams of not being able to turn off fire alarms. I had to wake up at 6:30 to make my coffee and be ready for breakfast. Of course, I woke up before the alarm. The morning was the perfect temperature and very foggy. I liked it.

The bathrooms are just like a public bathroom with four stalls and sinks. Snaking around a long corner reveals the showers. I can already sense that I've been transported back in time because there's the relaxed no-need-to-lock-your-door mentality. There's nothing stopping anyone—I'm talking about the public, people—from walking into the dorm building and walking into the bathroom and walking around the corner to those showers. I guess I should be grateful for the curtains. But no way am I getting dressed out in the open like that. What am I going to do?

A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on

I got all dressed and walked across to the nearest building which I discovered happens to be the cafe, but I wanted the cafeteria. I was very hungry having almost no food for 14 hours. I had to ask someone and, embarrassingly enough, it is in my dorm building. So I left the building for nothing. The cafeteria is in the basement, who knew. Not like there's a sign or anything. I went down the stairs and they swiped my meal card and I was pleased by the large variety of really tasty fruit. The hot breakfast area was not as much variety, but I understand, there aren't that many students, they don't want to cook too much. I had home fries, scrambled eggs, and one slice of bacon to accompany my large plate of fruit. The scrambled eggs were very good, better than the Germany buffet, big fluffy perfectly cooked, fresh tasting. There was yogurt a few other things in the cold area, and there were sausages and a few other things in the hot area.

My morning coffee set up was a breeze and was delicious. But now, I must go explore my surroundings before the rest of the day's activities begin.

A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on

Comments