Skip to main content

All the Students' Tears

I woke up this morning to all of the student's tears pouring down across the campus after last night's strange lecture somehow about the history of modernism, postmodernism, psychoanalysis, ideology, and artist burnout. I would like to ask others if anyone understands anything from that. I would be surprised. It was an odd way to end the evening.

A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on
Yesterday afternoon, we had a research methodologies meeting where people brainstormed together what was our schick when it comes to research. And Dont (yes that's his name) was talking about how when we find something that blatantly contradicts, we tend to just throw it out, like "Ah, ha! I caught you!" and throw out the entire source. Or we then seek out to prove or disprove the statements. But what we should do is let those contradictions sit with us and they "become the borders around a path that needs exploring." Contradiction points to an area that needs further understanding.

What Dont might not realize, is that I just read a little bit about this. Stemming from Socratic Logic and how a premise is either true or not true. Everything is right or wrong, binary. The reaction to contradiction he described is distinctly western. And basically what he was advising is that we become more Asian. In some eastern cultures, contradiction is not a problem that needs to be solved, they view it as a sign that they both could right and wrong, that each view is incomplete, and that the true answer is probably somewhere in between. Which reminds me of Curtis' joke, could be A, could be B, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

We also talked about how when we don't understand something we often throw the book away with repulsion—I don't get it!—and never want to look at it again. But what we need to realize is that understanding is not like an immediate revelation, it's a slow emerging one crumb at a time.

Over lunch, Dont announced to the cafeteria, "Hey everyone, I just ate the gnat!" and then the whole cafeteria cheered. We are all annoyed by the little gnats that sometimes fly around our face or food when we eat. This is a very strange place. But a full blown fly sat on my sandwich, so I didn't finish it. Then the fly sat on my salad, so I didn't finish that, then the fly sat on the rim of my soup bowl, so I didn't finish that either. It was very disappointing, and left me not exactly full from that meal.

I heard from a student that in their research discussion group they had a visitation from "Anna" the resident ghost on campus. Simultaneously, two people felt dizzy, two people felt nauseous and had to run to the bathroom, and one person started crying. One person came back from the bathroom feeling okay, the other had to stay there for a while. Everyone responded nonchalantly, "Oh that's just Anna again." Supposedly, she is a benevolent but mischievous spirit who moves objects and slams doors and other various activities to keep us on our toes. The café in the main building is even named after her.

I'm trying to decide if I should participate in the "open mic" on Tuesday night by reading a Billy Collins poem. I probably won't do it, but it was a fleeting thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exhibit Opening

So God Ball has a home now in the exhibit. He lives on a table with other little books. He is ready to be viewed.
God ball in the exhibit A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on Jul 22, 2017 at 8:52am PDT

At lunch, I shared with the group that there are five psychiatric hospitals nearby, and I wondered if there was a demand for all of them. Somehow this turned into a joke about how this school is really just another psychiatric hospital that specializes in people who have delusions of grandeur that they are artists. So we only think we are attending critiques and lectures but it's actually covert therapy to make us realize that we are delusional. Anyway, it was pretty funny.

In the morning we all put our names on two more critique slots in addition to the ones we were assigned.
Critique sign ups A post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on Jul 22, 2017 at 6:54am PDT Speaking of critiques, I just had my first one, and it was pretty harsh. No such thing as …

Unanswerable Questions

You wouldn't think it would be so difficult to print five photographs. But it is. I will be given an 8x8 foot wall to fill with whatever I want for the exhibit, and I had to make a mockup of my wall and how it will look. The guidelines were to bring something that you still consider "in progress" and that you would like to have a discussion about. So I'm bringing the beginning of my "Etherial Edibles" series.

I made a 8x8 inch photoshop document to lay out my photos how I want them on my wall, and then I had to translate what that means into actual measurements. Then, I ended up having to do it all over again when I saw the standard sizes of the printer that I decided to go through. It was quite the process. I got my prints the other day and they look great. So velvety and full of depth. I'm looking forward to seeing them on the wall with all its neighbors in the gallery. I plan to sign the bottom right corners in pencil like all the real photographers …

A Hermit Master?

Apparently, yes.

This hermit has been accepted into the Master of Fine Arts in Visual Arts program of the Vermont College of Fine Arts. Indeed.

I will have to complete two ten-day residencies in Vermont each year for a total of five times. The rest of the time I work independently from home under the watchful eye of a professional Artist-Teacher in my local area. Who I persuade to be my artist-teacher is up to me cold-calling them. Great job for a hermit. Each residency I will have to bring an exhibit of my work, including this first residency in July.

I have to decide what to print and how big to make it and how to get it there safely. And oh yeah, the biggest problem of all is...how am I going to pay for this?

Another good signA post shared by Jaime Tamrakar (@anonymous_hermit) on Apr 22, 2017 at 8:30pm PDT